Mga higala (friends), were you able to catch the exciting cooking session of Celebrity Chef Donita Rose in Centrio Mall, Cagayan de Oro last August 30, 2018?
With Regional Festivals rounding up in the country these coming months, Chef Donita Rose, along with Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil, started touring Cagayan de Oro to celebrate the Higalaay Festival last August.
Chef Donita shared her own twist on the famous Higalaay dish of Sinuglaw, composed of sinugba (grilled pork) and kinilaw. The dish was made more flavorful and healthier with the use of Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil, which is Chef Donita’s most recommended kitchen staple as it’s packed with good fats such as Omega 3 and 6 that are great for the heart. It also has Vitamin A that helps improve eyesight and has the lowest saturated or bad fats among all kinds of cooking oil which makes it a healthier option. Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil also has a high smoking point making it the most ideal cooking oil for frying and deep frying.
“Going around the Philippines during these wonderful festivals and sharing my twist on the local recipes is always such a fun and fulfilling experience for me. It’s truly an honor to be part of what Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil has been doing in providing healthier and affordable food choices in local communities and helping spread the heart-healthy goodness of home cooking,” said Chef Donita.
Additionally, it was a fun-filled treat to Cagayan de Oro’s local moms and foodies who also got a chance to sample Chef Donita’s own rendition of Sinuglaw during her live cooking demo at Centrio Mall last August 30, 2018. Local Supermarket samplings were also done in Robinson’s and Shopwise Supermarkets in Cagayan De Oro.
“We are thrilled to bring Chef Donita and Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil to our local festival activations,” said Fly Ace Corporation Group Product Manager for Edible Oils, Zen Prudentino. “We want to continue educating Filipinos nationwide about the importance of using heart-healthy cooking oil in everyday cooking. We don’t need to sacrifice the taste and flavor of our meals; it’s definitely possible to always prepare healthy and delicious meals with Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil,” she added.
Festival menus are usually oily but with Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil, we can now eat guilt-free knowing that our food choices promote heart-healthy and may help with disease prevention. With the country’s consistent No. 1 and most trusted cooking canola oil brand, Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil provides a healthy and affordable option in cooking our favorite festival dishes.
Chef Donita, together with GMA and Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil, is excited to prepare healthy dishes during her next Festival Tour in Vigan City’s Raniag Festival in October and for the Aklanons during the highly anticipated Ati-Atihan Festival in January.
If you want to taste the Sinuglaw that Chef Donita prepared for us, well here is the recipe that you can create at home:
This will be good for 4-6 people
• 500 mL of Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil
• 500 grams pork belly, whole
• 500 grams sashimi-grade tuna, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, patted dry
• 5 bay leaves/laurel
• 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut cream
• 1/4 cup raw coconut vinegar
• 2 small red onions, skin removed and cut in half and the other, sliced into very thin slivers
• 2 Thai chilies, seeds removed and thinly sliced
• 4 teaspoons Ginger, peeled and grated
• 5 tbsp. of Cilantro stems and leaves chopped
• 10 black peppercorns
• S/P to taste
• 1 Lime wedges, for serving
• 1 Tabon-tabon fruit, sap only
1. Take the sap from the tabon-tabon and mix it with the coconut vinegar, chili, slivered onions, and ginger before adding the tuna. Mix well and place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
2. Separate the skin from the pork belly, making sure to remove any excess fat. Place the skin and pork belly in a pan with water and add the bay leaves, halved onion, and peppercorns. Boil for 30 min. Remove the skin and pork from liquid and drain on a paper towel-lined plate, making sure to pat dry.
3. In another pan, heat the Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil to medium heat. Place a wooden spoon in the oil and when you see slow bubbles rolling, place the skin in the oil, making sure to cover it immediately with a splatter screen. Never completely cover with a lid while frying to avoid fire. When skin is very crispy, remove from heat and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. When cooled, chop up the skin into crumbles.
4. Divide the pork into long strips and season with salt and pepper. Cook the strips on a grill pan over high heat with 1 tbsp. of Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil. Take time turning the pork over to get good grill marks with a lot of smokey flavors. Let strips cool before cutting into 1/2 inch cubes.
5. Take the tuna out of the refrigerator and drain any remaining liquid. Mix in pork belly cubes, the coconut cream, and the chicharon right before serving for added texture. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Place in individual cups or serving bowls and top with lime wedges.
That’s it, enjoy the unique favorite food in Cagayan de Oro. For more information on Jolly Heart Mate Canola Oil, visit their Facebook Page on www.facebook.com/JollyHeartMateCanolaOil.